About Me

My photo
No, Vasundhara is not my real name. I am breaking it in for a friend!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What Am I Made Of? - Pt2

Sports: Exercise and rules generously sprinkled with mirth and a livid sense of freedom!
Through out my life thus far, I have been a vivacious sportswoman. Be it throwball, table tennis, basketball, lawn tennis, kho-kho, volleyball, softball, lacrosse, cricket-I have played it all. Or so I would like to believe.
Those days when we played for fun soon gave way to days when we played only to win. Soon to be followed by days that were spent playing only to “defeat”, and later, celebrate as victors.
Sports and the love of it instilled in me many qualities. Perseverance being one of them. Goes without saying there were others like team spirit, fair play, sportsman spirit (to take to victory or defeat equally graciously).
The bonhomie, the camaraderie, and the bliss are unmatched till date. That this description culminates here does not mean that this is all sports did for me. Yet, I choose to end it here.
Learning: It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man tumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust, sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. – Theodore Roosevelt

Travel: I now will tell you about my travel tails and at times, travails. Get, set, and go! Around the world, about your city, country, or “imagine!” for that matter. Costs far less or way too much at times.
Travel for me has meant both the literal one, interspersed with relevant, strong, and at times, lethal doses of “imagination. So much so, that I can safely say, I am quite a traveller. One who has thoroughly enjoyed each trip to a place big or small, the preparations for that went into it, the actual journey, the stay, the trips about that place, yes, gallivanting, and finally, battling the nostalgia, and managing pictures and my travelogue! Phew!! Long haul!!!
Not only this, but also, each trip to “neverland” or the “future”, to “Utopia”, to “why-me?” or “why-not-me?” land, to “I-wish-I-could” or “if-it-had-been-so” world, were each quite a trip in themselves!
The sudden realisation that “Now” beckons and the quiet, quick revisits to those places, are all etched onto the tablet-my “thinking” mind.
Learning: It's round the world I've travelled; it's round the world I've roamed; … - Woody Guthrie

No comments: